Good Idea

>> Sunday, July 25, 2010

It's a good idea to have your parents come to Azerbaijan. Reasons being:

1 - They now will understand half of the crazy you have been sending home in emails.
2 - They won't be so terrified of this crazy thing you signed up for.
3 - There are some wonderful friends I've made here, they see I'm well taken care of.
4 - You're a Qax Star and now they can see it (as if there was any doubt).
5 - Ego! You've been speaking the language for 9 months and daily progress is mostly noted by you alone. Throw your parents who meekly say hello and thank you and you are more or less fluent. Aka use your parents to make you look oh so good!
6 - It's easier to see how happy I am when I'm laughing with Nona rather than sitting at home skyping about worries.
7 - To all of the host country nationals who still don't quite understand how or why I left home for this commitment, I'm a real girl. These are my real parents and this is our real love that passes over half the world every day.
8 - Also for host country nationals, if you have been taking care of me...my mommy will bring you things!
So many more reasons, I'm still counting them...you don't have to read them.

Last view of Qax waiting on the train platform. We may look serious but about one second after this was taken the sarcastic punch line was dropped and it was all smiles. Qax is magical, it does that to people.

1 comments:

Sam July 27, 2010 at 5:07 AM  

I must say, I'm very impressed that you live in a town that would score a 21 on a scrabble board even without using a double or triple word/letter box

Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP